Oh my aching back . . . . .part III
Below is the average life expectancy of
Some home appliances etc. in years.
Microwave 10
Garbage disposal 10-12
Water heater, gas 11-13
Water heater, electric 13-14
Smoke detector 10
Refrigerator, side by side 14
Refrigerator, top mount 14
Refrigerator, bottom mount 17
Refrigerator, single door 19
Washing machine, top load 14
Washing machine, front load 11
Dryer 13
Range, electric 17
Range, gas 19
Dishwasher 10
Cooktops 13-20
Furnace, forced air 15
Water softener 20
Water pump 7-10
Carpeting 11
Interior paint 7-10
Vinyl floor 20-30
Wood floor 100+
Bathroom fixtures,
Porcelain and cast iron 50
Fiberglass tub/showers 10-5
Kitchen cabinets
(particle board and
Laminates 15-20
Aluminum siding 20-50
Exterior deck 15
Exterior paint 7-10
Garage door 20-50
Garage door opener 10
Roofing, composition 15-30
Roofing, wood shingles 20-30
Roofing tile 50
Veneer (brick stone) 100+
Vinyl siding 50
Wood siding 10-100
HOT-TUB 8-10
The reason I’m giving this list is that Boyd and I have been lucky and Have been able to suck every last breath from everything we have. Boyd’s pretty handy and can fix or jerry-rig most stuff. (I have a blender that was my Grandma Paxman's and she's been dead for 36 years, this blender is AWESOME) So, this hot tub thing that’s been going on since January 26, is being resolved . . . . . finally. It was fixed a couple of weeks ago, but after looking at water at had been sitting and not circulating for 3 weeks it was very cloudy. So I wanted to “shock” it and get it ready. I didn’t know that you could put so much bromine in the water that when you get out your testing kit it is so strong that it bleaches out all the color. So I kept adding bromine, since I couldn't get a "color" reading until the thing was YELLOW. The bromine levels were so high they “burned out” the new heating panel and the circulation pump. The heating panel had been in for a week – Warren is going to try to get it covered under a warranty, but it was my fault it got fried. The circulation pump should have been replaced about 6-8 years ago. Warren has never seen one that has worked for 15 years, he was amazed. So friends, if everything goes well, it should be up to temperature by Wednesday night. We’ve had to have a space heater down blowing on the parts when the circulation pump wasn’t working to make sure it didn’t freeze. This has been a great hardship on me and my back. (whine whine whine, that's all I'm good for is a good whine) This is a long a tedius post, if you read to the end then you should have gone and put in a load of laundry or something that was productive. (sigh) I'll let you know when my all is right with my world. ;-)
Below is the average life expectancy of
Some home appliances etc. in years.
Microwave 10
Garbage disposal 10-12
Water heater, gas 11-13
Water heater, electric 13-14
Smoke detector 10
Refrigerator, side by side 14
Refrigerator, top mount 14
Refrigerator, bottom mount 17
Refrigerator, single door 19
Washing machine, top load 14
Washing machine, front load 11
Dryer 13
Range, electric 17
Range, gas 19
Dishwasher 10
Cooktops 13-20
Furnace, forced air 15
Water softener 20
Water pump 7-10
Carpeting 11
Interior paint 7-10
Vinyl floor 20-30
Wood floor 100+
Bathroom fixtures,
Porcelain and cast iron 50
Fiberglass tub/showers 10-5
Kitchen cabinets
(particle board and
Laminates 15-20
Aluminum siding 20-50
Exterior deck 15
Exterior paint 7-10
Garage door 20-50
Garage door opener 10
Roofing, composition 15-30
Roofing, wood shingles 20-30
Roofing tile 50
Veneer (brick stone) 100+
Vinyl siding 50
Wood siding 10-100
HOT-TUB 8-10
The reason I’m giving this list is that Boyd and I have been lucky and Have been able to suck every last breath from everything we have. Boyd’s pretty handy and can fix or jerry-rig most stuff. (I have a blender that was my Grandma Paxman's and she's been dead for 36 years, this blender is AWESOME) So, this hot tub thing that’s been going on since January 26, is being resolved . . . . . finally. It was fixed a couple of weeks ago, but after looking at water at had been sitting and not circulating for 3 weeks it was very cloudy. So I wanted to “shock” it and get it ready. I didn’t know that you could put so much bromine in the water that when you get out your testing kit it is so strong that it bleaches out all the color. So I kept adding bromine, since I couldn't get a "color" reading until the thing was YELLOW. The bromine levels were so high they “burned out” the new heating panel and the circulation pump. The heating panel had been in for a week – Warren is going to try to get it covered under a warranty, but it was my fault it got fried. The circulation pump should have been replaced about 6-8 years ago. Warren has never seen one that has worked for 15 years, he was amazed. So friends, if everything goes well, it should be up to temperature by Wednesday night. We’ve had to have a space heater down blowing on the parts when the circulation pump wasn’t working to make sure it didn’t freeze. This has been a great hardship on me and my back. (whine whine whine, that's all I'm good for is a good whine) This is a long a tedius post, if you read to the end then you should have gone and put in a load of laundry or something that was productive. (sigh) I'll let you know when my all is right with my world. ;-)
5 comments:
You guys do have good luck with appliances, don't forget old yeller is still kickin' in my basement!
curious what/who/how old yeller is?
that list is a little depressing.. thinking of all the things we'll need to replace..
Oh momma...
old yeller is my old yellow fridge, it was used when Boyd married his first wife and they had it in their condo. So it's probably 35 years old. We lucked out on our hot water heater and it lasted about 22 years, and I had a washing machine that lasted about 23 years. I bought my deep freezer 27 years ago and it was 2-3 years old then. i've been lucky!!!!!
WOW what a list! I just hope that we have as good of luck as you guys do on your appliances. The rule of thumb is that when one goes out then two more follow. I hope we will be able to avoid that! We hope your hot tub starts working soon!
Post a Comment