Friday, January 15, 2010

Green-eyed monster . . .and contentment


WARNING: This contains religious content :-)

Have you ever been envious?

Well, of course you have.

I had an experience last night of envy, contentment and a wink from God.
First of all, we have new ward boundaries. . . so lots of new people. I have a new Visiting Teaching companion. She's close to my age (actually a tinsy weensy bit older...by 6 years) we have alot in common, she's newly retired (I'm looking forward to that) she swears (our favorites are: damn, hell, shit and an occasional son-of-a-biscuit-biter (bitch)) We both have older homes that we are "fixing up". She is thankful for her husband (as am I) She has a love for our Heavenly Father and a sincere desire to be a better person (I try). We also have 2nd marriages, and a blended family and years of living with children we love, and trying to be the best parents we can under, sometimes difficult, circumstances.

Anyway, we visit a younger incredibly beautiful, talented, sweet, (did I mention THIN) woman. She is someone I've worked with in our Primary. She is smart (CPA) and funny and looks like she "has it all" including 6-bedroom home that is GORGEOUS and BIG and NEW and..and..and...

Well, after a visit with her last night she confided that her new marriage and newly acquired teen-age children are a great challenge. After a long discussion on how "worth it" the effort will be, she told us she was so happy we had been assigned to her and the encouragement we gave. She mentioned calling us when thing got crazy for a "pep-talk". I went home feeling grateful for my husband who has always treated my children with love, for his sweet daughter who has always treated me with love. I was also grateful for a kind Heavenly Father who knows each of our needs and provides for them, usually through others actions (my "wink" from God)

My home will never stack up to new, I can paint, lay new carpet, put in new fixtures and it will always be like a "new dress on an old whore". But. . . .I have a family that I love and love me, and my years of struggling with blending our families are mostly behind us. We've come through it and we all love each other.

Thank you God.

AMEN

7 comments:

Harmony said...

Amen!!

Mandi said...

Yes, and the great thing about your house is: it's a home!

bev said...

You summed it up pretty well. I would have to add that you are the reason that you are so content and happy. You have worked hard for it and deserve it. I remember that once you told me while talking to your former mother in law that she told you that "you ring your own bells". It was and is true. So many people count on others for their happiness. A huge mistake as we are all accountable for our own actions and happiness. Cheers to you. Now its time to teach others. I think that is one reason the lord keeps us around when we get older. Our mission becomes that of teaching the younger ones.

Wendell and Carole said...

You couldn't have said it better. I may not have a million $ home, but i love my little house, and i love my kids, and grandkids, more than anything else in the world. It's not easy to have blended families, but you guy's are a great example, I often forget that Grumpy is not the dad to a couple of your kids, but he is so great with them, as if they were his own. Thank's for reminding us all, what we need to be grateful for..

Simply Vera said...

http://vbpeters.blogspot.com

Mandi said...

"WINK" from God?! I like it. Thanks for the thoughts. I always new that I had the greatest mother ever. Home was always home, never just a house.
-Travis

Simply Vera said...

Sweet.