Sunday, May 8, 2011




I remember my mother's prayers and they have always followed me. They have clung to me all my life.

Abraham Lincoln

Today is Mother's Day.
Growing up I loved my mom.
It was later, after I left home, that I gained a real appreciation for my Mom.

Later still, as I became a Mom, this appreciation grew to a huge sense of obligation I felt toward my Mom.

Not obligated in that I felt I needed to pay her back for my youthful selfish actions.

But, that I had an obligation to be as good a Mom to my own children.

I didn't what them to have the "cheap imitation" of a Mom.

But, alas it was not to be, I couldn't be the

Mom to my children that my Mom was to me.

So, I tried to be a different kind of Mom.

There were times I felt the shadow of my Mom in my

actions, and words, a hint of her humor when

I would laugh a big belly-laugh at my families antics.

There were even times that a recipe I tried

tasted nearly as good as hers.

I always have my toenails painted, as does my Mom.

I pick various colors for myself, Mom has always

wore RED polish on her toes. Once I

asked her "why always red Mom?"

She answered:

"It's the wicked in me."

I always laugh when I think of that.

There is nothing wicked about her. . . . .ever.

I'm grateful to have such a great Mom. I've always believed

in myself, because Mom told me she believed in me.

What a blessing she has been to me and continues to be.

I love you Mom





3 comments:

bev paxman said...

Well said Patti! Your mom is such a wonderful, kind lady. She is one of a kind. Happy Mother's day Delma!!!

Vera said...

Very sweet Patti.... Happy Mother's Day to you, and to your very special mother...

Mandi said...

Delma is fantastic, but so are you. Thanks for raising such a wonderful son. Hopefully I can live up to you and raise my boys to be great men.